Section 318 - An Ordinance Establishing the
Storm Sewer Improvement District
WHEREAS, the City of Owatonna, Minnesota (the 'City"), intends to improve its storm sewer collection and distribution systems to more effectively manage the storm water that is produced from properties located within the City; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Sections 444.16 through 444.21, as amended (the 'Act"), the City Council may by ordinance adopted by a two-thirds vote of all of its members, establish within the City a storm sewer improvement tax district, within which the City may acquire, construct, reconstruct, extend, maintain, and otherwise improve storm sewer systems and related facilities within the storm sewer improvement tax district; and
WHEREAS, the City may finance such activities by ad valorem taxes levied on property located within a storm sewer improvement tax district; and
WHEREAS, no such ordinance establishing a storm sewer improvement tax district shall be adopted until after a duly noticed public hearing has been held on the question; and
WHEREAS, by Resolution No. 20-08, adopted by the City Council on March 18, 2008 and published in the Owatonna People's Press on March 21, 2008, the City Council called for a public hearing on the establishment of a storm sewer improvement tax district according to the Act, which public hearing will be held on April 15, 2008; and
WHEREAS, notice of the time, place and purpose of the public hearing has been published for two successive weeks in the Owatonna People's Press, pursuant to the Act.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF OWATONNA DO ORDAIN:
1. It is found and determined that it is in the best financial interests of the City and its storm water management program that a storm sewer improvement tax district be established.
2. The storm sewer improvement tax district created by this Ordinance is hereby known as the 'City of Owatonna Storm Sewer Improvement Tax District" (the 'District").
3. The District is hereby established. The City shall have all powers and authority conferred by the Act in the operation of the District.
4. The property to be included within the District is the entire corporate limits of the City.
5. Pursuant to the Amended Charter of the City, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect upon publication in the Owatonna People's Press.
6. Once this Ordinance is in full force and effect, the City Administrator is authorized and directed to cause this Ordinance to be recorded with the Steele County Auditor and the Steele County Recorder, according to the Act.
First Reading: April 1, 2008
Second Reading: April 15, 2008
Public Hearing: April 15, 2008
Effective upon publication.
This Ordinance was published on April 18, 2008.
Passed and adopted this 15th day of April , 2008, with
the following vote: Aye 7 ; No 0 ; Absent 0 .
Approved and signed this 15th day of April , 2008.
/s/ Thomas A. Kuntz
/s/ Kris M. Busse