Resources available at Owatonna Public Library:
- Local newspapers dating from 1868 to present available on microfilm
- Various City and County reports and proposals
- City and County directories dating from 1892 to the present
- Family histories and biographies
- Online genealogy resources
- Steele County cemeteries index
Online Genealogy Resources
- 1940 Census: Official, searchable website of the 1940 US Census
- Ancestry Library Edition (in-library use only)
- Cyndi's List: Free "genealogical research portal onto the Internet"
- Dalby Database: Cemetery records and more for Steele and Rice Counties
- FamilySearch: LDS nonprofit family history source--"largest genealogy organization in the world."
- GenWeb site for Steele County: Part of the USGenWeb Project
- Germans to America Online Database: from the U.S. National Archives
- Heritage Quest Online: Home users: click HERE for access to Heritage Quest Online.
- Iron Range Research Center: One of the largest collections of genealogical and local history research materials in the Upper Midwest, including census, naturalization records, passenger arrival records, mining company newsletters, and a survey of Women in Industry taken in 1919, among others.
- Online Minnesota Death Records & Indexes
- Minnesota Genealogical Resources
- Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub: This collection is a work-in-progress by the Minnesota Historical Society, containing digital images of newspapers from the 1870s to the 1920s.
- Minnesota Official Marriage System
- RootsWeb.com: One of the oldest and largest free geneology sites, now supported by Ancestry.com
- Steele County Historical Society info on Genealogy, Archives, & Research. Also, search the digital archive of historic Owatonna photographs.