Commercial/ Industrial Requirements
Commercial Contractors wanting to build in the City of Owatonna can find all information needed to submit for a building permit. All information must be completed and submitted with the Building Permit Application to the Building Inspection Department. All of the following forms must be completed and included with the 2 sets of construction plans submitted to the Building Inspection Department for review. The Water Quality Specialist will review all grading plans to ensure that there is proper site drainage and that appropriate erosion and sediment controls are in place to prevent pollutants from leaving the construction site.
Contractors are responsible for scheduling the initial inspection with the Water Quality Specialist, prior to the start of construction, to verify the necessary stormwater pollution prevention best management practices are in place. Contractors are also responsible for scheduling the final inspection to verify proper stabilization exists following project comlpetion (to be scheduled prior to final inspection with the Building Department).
- Commercial/ Industrial Construction Grading/ ESC Standards -application must be completely filled out and signed at plan submission
- Post-Construction Stormwater Standards - requirements for controlling discharge rate, volume, total phosporus and total suspended solids.
- NPDES Permit (if applicable)-Permit must be submitted to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, copy of permit provide to City of Owatonna .
- City of Owatonna Notice of Transfer/ Modification Form - required when transfering or closing Grading/ ESC Permit.
- Notice of Transfer/ Modication Fact Sheet - read prior to signing notice of transfer/ modication form and deliver to person responsible for SWPPP oversight.
Notice: Projects are required to submit an as-built drawing prior to permit close out and issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy.
Commercial Contractor/Developer Resources and Responsibilities
The following information is available for further details about the requirements of the Grading/ESC Permit Process
- Construction Grading/ESC Guidance
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Checklist
- MPCA Construction Stormwater Permit Overview
- Stormwater Compliance Assistance Toolkit
- Concrete Washout Requirements
Go to Building Inspection Division's webpage for additional information regarding construction